Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
I want to:   

What's New?

​Click It or Ticket: Extra Seat Belt Enforcement Underway in Minnesota

Most of you reading this (93 percent) already buckle up when you get in a vehicle, but the remaining 7 percent skip that potentially life-saving step.

Seat belt strength demonstration.That’s why more than 300 law enforcement agencies throughout the state are cracking down on unbuckled motorists through June 4.

Seventy-nine unbelted motorists died on Minnesota roads last year, according to preliminary numbers. From 2011 to 2015, 152 unbelted motorists lost their lives during the 100 deadliest days on Minnesota roads (Memorial Day – Labor Day). But statistics show seat belts are helping make a difference. Since 1987, motor vehicle occupant serious injuries have decreased 82 percent.

“If it can hold a car, it can hold you.” See the strength of a seat belt in a DPS video of a car being lifted off the ground by the driver’s side belt. Learn more about the extra enforcement here.

REAL ID Available to Minnesotans Beginning Next Year

Minnesotans will be able to get REAL ID compliant driver's licenses and ID cards next year under a law signed by Gov. Dayton on May 18. The new law requires ​Minnesota Department of Public Safety Driver and Vehicle Services to begin issuing licenses compliant with the federal REAL ID Act by Oct. 1, 2018.

There is no need to get a new license now unless it's time to renew an expiring license. Minnesotans can continue to use their current driver's license as a form of identification to board domestic flights until Jan. 22, 2018. With the passage of this law, Gov. Dayton requested an extension from the federal government on May 19, that "would allow Minnesota's current licenses to be used for all federal purposes, while we complete the steps necessary to provide REAL ID compliant licenses to Minnesota citizens."

Background information and next steps can be found on the Office of Communication news page. More REAL ID facts and information can be found on the U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security's website.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Minnesota Law Enforcement, Courts Transition to Electronic Search Warrants

Minnesota peace officers and judges can now complete the search warrant application process electronically, using a new system developed by the BCA called eSearch Warrants.

Learn more about eSearch Warrants.

Featured Video

Video Description: To demonstrate to the public how seat belts can make a difference, the Department of Public Safety recently held a news conference to announce a Click It or Ticket extra enforcement campaign that runs from May 22 - June 4. The event was highlighted by a tow truck lifting a vehicle up by its seat belt, demonstrating the strength of a belt and how it can help prevent injury or loss of life when properly used.